Why October is So Important & The importance of the right habits
Here’s your shot of inspiration for this week:
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
What you do repeatedly, you ingrain as a habit. Your habits affect your results, which ultimately determine your quality of business results and life.
The problem with habits, is that they take commitment to do actions consistently until they become hard-wired into your unconscious. Think about the time it took to learn how to drive a car… Or ride your bicycle…
So, what’s this got to do with October? Well, as I see it October is one of the most important months of the year. It’s the first month of the last quarter, and what you do in this month will very often, for most businesses, determine how the year finishes. Often what you do in November and December is too little too late for impacting on the calendar year.
So here’s an idea for the coming month of October… join me in ‘The October Challenge’ by answering the following question and following through:
1. What if done consistently, every day for the month of October will have the single biggest impact on my job/business?
If you’re in, you have a couple of days to decide on that 1 thing. Then, play full out to do this one thing consistently just for October.
1. You’ll ingrain a new habit.
2. If you pick the right action, you’ll make sure your final quarter delivers what you want.
3. Your results will improve. The biggest obstacle to succeeding? You. You may start very enthusiastically, only to forget about it in week 2 of the month.
So to aid you, I suggest you reply to me ‘I’m in’. Simple promises to a third party actually do make a difference. But it’s up to you. If you’re stuck on what to do, here’s a common list of things I encounter:
– Take time out daily to work on my business development
– Have a 5 minute team huddle with my staff daily
– Prioritise my actions daily and work through in order of importance
– Spend 5 mins daily visualising my goals
– Meditate/relax daily
– Exercise daily (yes this can help business results too!)
– Take time out daily to really think!
– Only access my email at certain times daily
So, if you’re up for it, use me as an anchor point to follow through on your commitment.
Have a great week,
ps – Why not share this with your teams also? Get them to answer the above question and run their answer by you.